Victim-Based Immigration

Many immigrants are afraid of admitting that they have been a victim of a crime because they believe they will be removed or deported from the United States if they report the crime. Some immigrants may be scared to report acts of domestic violence to the police and get help. For these reasons, many immigrants remain in abusive relationships. However, United States law provides several protections for legal and undocumented immigrants who have been victims of a crime.

U Visa

U non-immigrant status (U visa) offers immigration protection for victims and is also an instrument for police/law enforcement.

Victims of the following crimes may be eligible for a U non-immigrant visa:

AbductionAbusive Sexual ContactBlackmail
Domestic ViolenceExtortionFalse Imprisonment
Female Genital MutilationPerjuryFelonious Assault
Hostage TakenIncestPeonage
Involuntary ServitudeKidnappingManslaughter
RapeMurderObstruction of Justice
Witness TamperingProstitutionSexual Assault
Slave TradeTortureTrafficking
Sexual ExploitationUnlawful Criminal RestraintOther Related Crimes

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self-Petitioner

Victims of domestic violence who are the child, parent, or current/former spouse of a United States citizen or a permanent resident/green card holder and are abused by the United States citizen or permanent resident may be eligible to apply for a green card themselves without the abuser's knowledge.

Contact Us For Immigration Assistance

If you believe you may be eligible for U Visa or VAWA, you've been through enough. It's time to let the Yale Law Group help you. Call 940-222-8025 or contact our firm online to schedule a consultation.