Find Out What Legal Options
Are Available To You

What is Adjustment of Status?

Adjustment of Status is an application filed by an alien who is physically in the United States who wants to adjust his or her status to permanent resident status without having to return to their home country. This change of an individual's immigration status is permitted if the individual was inspected, admitted, or paroled into the United States and meet all of the required qualifications for permanent residence (green card).

The basic benefit of applying for adjustment of status is that the alien has reached the final step of getting a green card. Once the application is approved, the alien gains permanent resident status in the United States.

In addition, there are three other major benefits during the pending period of adjustment of status for the alien:

1. The individual may stay in the U.S. legally without a valid non-immigrant status while their Adjustments of Status is pending. However, we would strongly suggest that one keep his or her non-immigrant status even though their adjustment status application is pending.

2. The individual may apply for Employment Authorization or work permit. Once approved, the work permit allows an alien to work for any employer in the United States during the pending period of his or her adjustment of status application.

3. The individual may simultaneously apply for Advance Parole. Once approved, Advance Parole allows an individual to travel overseas during the pending period of his or her adjustment of status application, without abandoning the benefits associated with applying for an adjustment of status.

Call Yale Law Group at (940) 891-4800 for help with your Adjustment of Status application.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information