Find Out What Legal Options
Are Available To You

Will an Undocumented or Illegal Immigrant Marrying a U.S. Citizen Guarantee them Permanent Residency (Green Card)?

An undocumented or illegal immigrant can marry a United States citizen. There is no law to prevent an illegal or undocumented immigrant from marrying a U.S. citizen.

There have been many changes over the years regarding undocumented or illegal immigrants who married in the United States to a U.S. citizen. In 2013 the I-601A Waiver was introduced making it possible for many people to once again apply for their green cards through marriage on the grounds of extreme hardship to their U.S. spouses.

A huge amendment to this waiver just happened in August 2016 that allows many more people to apply for their green cards with the I-601A waiver. These changes mean that more people than ever will be able to keep their families together. With the new changes there are now no time restrictions on who can apply, there are less qualifications than before, and even if you have already received your final notice of removal you can still apply.

Call Yale Law at 940-891-4800 for help with your immigration issues.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information