Texas laws do not favor a person who fails to pay court-ordered child support. When someone stops making child support payments, any of the following could happen:

1. The Attorney General’s office can take funds from your tax refund, lottery winnings, and even the funds from your retirement account or a trust setup for your benefit.

2. The Attorney General’s office can place a lien on any non-homestead property.

3. You could be sued for the child support obligation up to 2 years after the child ages out of the support period (turns 18, graduates, marries, emancipates, etc.)-this just means the suit has to be filed within 2 years, then the suit can carry on for years thereafter.

4. Good moral character for immigration: If you willfully fail or refuse to pay child support, your application to become a United States citizen may be denied.

5. Suspension of your driver’s license and/or other professional licenses.

6. Place a withholding order with your employer and have the funds taken directly deducted from your paycheck.

7. Jail time.

This list is not exhaustive, but these are the most common issues that arise when child support becomes delinquent. Unlike common belief, a person cannot avoid payment by simply moving out of the state. In any case, at this stage, you will be losing much more than the funds that are owed.

If you are owed child support, or you are delinquent in your payments, feel free to call the Yale Law Group at 940-222-8025.